Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Maine Coast Work-In-Progress

"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make, the better."
                                                                                                 ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


6" x 6" oil study for Lifting Fog

As I've said before, I am head-over-heels in love with oil paints. So far, it seems like anything I did in acrylic, I can do better in oil. How long the honeymoon will last I don't know, but wow I'm enjoying this!

The other day I ran across a photo I had taken years ago on the coast of Maine. I immediately wanted to try painting it and so I did a little 6" x 6" painting as an experiment. I was happy enough with the outcome to decide to work it into a bigger painting. At the urging of a friend, I had gotten a 12" x 12" cradled panel to try (Ampersand 2" deep cradled Gessobord, to be exact), and have been waiting for the perfect subject to paint on it. This seemed like as good a subject as any.


Initial paint layers

I really like the golden tones in the initial study, but the coast had an almost reddish color to the rocks so I played that up in this painting. I also wanted to make sure the trees in the background were not as dark as in my study. I wanted to push them back farther into the painting, and also have a little hint of water vapor in the air around them as the fog burned off.

The lovely easel that is displaying my work-in-progress in these photos was an anniversary gift from my husband this year. Sorry Marilyn, but art supplies are this girl's best friend!  

More progress

While the first layers of paint on this piece dry, I've been taking advantage of the beautiful fall weather we've been having and getting out and doing more plein air painting. We live in what is considered a high desert region and the oil paints are holding up to the dry air and strong sun admirably. As soon as I can get good lighting for photos, I'll post some of my little in-the-field paintings.

No comments: